1. Old Presbyterian
Church Lecture Hall, c. 1860. Located
at 30548 Prince William Street, this
gable-front frame structure was originally
used by the Manokin Presbyterian congregation.
2. Somerset County Courthouse,
1904-05. Located at 30512 Prince William
Street, this Georgian Revival, brick
courthouse replaced the second building
erected in 1832-33.
3. C.H. Hayman House, 1898. Located
at 30491 Prince William Street, this
large Queen Anne style frame house is
an interesting example of Victorian
and Colonial Revival design features.
4. Dougherty House, c. 1835,
c. 1837. Located at 30490 Prince William
Street, this house is a combination
of vernacular Greek Revival and mid-19th
century cottage architecture.
5. Judge Levin T. H. Irving House
(Episcopal Rectory), c. 1850. Located
at 30480 Prince William Street, construction
of this Greek Revival house is attributed
to carpenter Seth D. Venables, who worked
in Princess Anne during the mid-19th
Teackle Gatehouse, c. 1805. Located
at 30466 Prince William Street, this
is one of two entrance buildings erected
on the Teackle estate, which housed
both paid and slave staff.
7. Fontaine-Fitzgerald House, c.
1852. Located in the Local Historic
District at 30459 Prince William Street,
this house is a pristine example of
mid-19th century Greek Revival design,
featuring a two-story portico, and side-lighted
8. Francis Barnes House, 1853,54.
Located at 30449 Prince William Street,
this house is a well-designed example
of a mid-19th century bracketed house,
as crafted by Seth D. Venables.
Rufus Parsons House, c. 1858. Located
at 30448 Prince William Street, and
occupying a prominent corner of the
old Teackle estate, this two-story frame
dwelling is an unusual example of Greek
10. Teackle Mansion, c. 1802; 1818,19.
Located at 11736 Mansion Street, this
house is a stunning and an elaborate
ex- ample of Federal style architecture
erected teackle_drawing.gif by Littleton
Dennis Teackle, one of the most influential
men of the early 19th century, and it
is listed in the National Register of
11. Seth Venables House (Simplicity),
c. 1852. Located at 11748 Mansion Street,
this two-story frame dwelling was built
by Seth D. Venables for himself and
12. William Geddes House (Turnstall
Cottage), c. 1755. Located at 11790
Church Street, this is the oldest dwelling
in Princess Anne.
13. Charles Jones House, c. 1780.
Located at 11816 Somerset Avenue, this
is one of only a few 18th century houses
that remains standing on a portion of
Lot 3, one of Princess Anne's original
14. Wooldord-Elzey House, c.
1788, c. 1840. Located at 11828 Somerset
Avenue, the core of this large frame
house dates back to the 18th century,
but the exterior later underwent extensive
House at Manokin River Park, c.
1870. Located at 11840 Somerset Avenue,
this house serves as focal point for
the richly landscaped Manokin River
Park, after being relocated to the site
when the park was founded during the
16. Manokin Presbyterian Church,
1756; 1871,72; 1888. Located at 11890
Somerset Avenue, this church is listed
in the National Register of Historic
Places, and it is home to the Princess
Anne Presbyterian congregation, which
was originally established around 1683.
17. Nutter's Purchase, c. 1800.
Located at 30455 Flurer's Lane, this
frame house was erected as part of a
18. Linden Hill, c. 1835. Located
at 11923 Somerset Avenue, this structure
is an important and a well preserved
example of Federal/Greek Revival domestic
architecture erected in a stepped, or
19. Metropolitan United Methodist
Church, 1886. Located at 30518 Broad
Street, this expressive example of Gothic
Revival religious architecture rests
on the site originally occupied by the
County jail (1744-1831). spacer.gif
Washington Hotel, 1797; 1838-. Located
at 11784 Somerset Avenue, a hotel or
ordinary has operated on this site since
the mid-18th century. washington_hotel.gif
21. John W. Crisfield Law Office,
c. 1847,48. Located at 11787 Somerset
Avenue, this two-story, gable-front
frame building is an rare survivor of
antebellum frame commercial architecture.
22. Old Bank of Somerset, c.
1884. Located at 11739 Somerset Avenue,
this two-story, brick commercial building
is an unusual combination of Gothic
Revival and Romanesque motifs.
23. John W. Crisfield House (Somerset
House), c. 1852 Located in the Local
Historic District at 30556 Washington
Street, this prominent late Federal/Greek
Revival house was erected by the former
United States senator.
24. Anna L. Haines House, c.
1909. Located at 30560 Washington Street,
this brick townhouse was erected in
a T-shape, extended by two-story, bay
windows on two street elevations.
25. Harry C. Dashiell House,
c. 1905. Located in the Local Historic
District at 11719 Beechwood Street,
this T-plan dwelling is trimmed with
modest Victorian features, including
a turned post, front porch.
26. Colonel George Handy House,
1805,06, Located in the Local Historic
District at 11719 Beechwood Street,
this well-built frame house is sheathed
with original beaded weatherboards,
and joined on the lot by a sawn log
smokehouse with a pyramidal roof.
27. Boxwood Garden, c. 1850-.
Located in the Local Historic District
at the corner of Somerset Avenue and
Washington Street, this boxwood parterre
dates back to the mid-19th century.
28. General George Handy House,
c. 1845-. Located in the Local Historic
District at 11695 Somerset Avenue, this
house is an interesting renovation of
a late-18th century, Greek Revival house.
29. Joshua W. Miles House (Hinman
House), c. 1890. Located at 11673 Somerset
Avenue, this impressive dwelling is
an elaborate example of Queen Anne style
architecture, believed to be designed
by Baltimore architect, Jackson C. Gott.
William W. Johnston House, c. 1834,35.
Located at 11653 Somerset Avenue, this
finely detailed, Federal style dwelling
sits on the south edge of town, and
was built to face the town center. johnston_house.gif
31. Levin Woolford House, c. 1853.
Located at 11601 Somerset Avenue, this
is the only example of the Second Empire
style in Princess Anne.
32. Waters House, c. 1859 Located
at 11571 Somerset Avenue, this mid-19th
century revival style architecture,
was erected far south of the original
33. Frank Collins House and Dairy
Barn, c. 1910. Located at 11510
Somerset Avenue, at the south end of
the Local Historic District, this imposing
brick house, which features Colonial
Revival detailing, is joined on the
property by a brick dairy barn that
34. Cassius Dashiell House, 1896.Located
in the Local Historic District at 11600
Beckford Avenue, this cross-gabled house
displays intricate Victorian sawnwork,
and generous front and side porches.
35. Beckford Avenue Tenant Houses,
c. 1870. Located at 11679 and 11685
Beckford Avenue, these two-story, two-bay
frame dwellings were erected for tenant
families who worked on the Beckford
36. Beckford, c. 1803 Located
at 11692 Beckford Avenue, this superbly
designed, Flemish bond brick house is
listed in the National Register of Historic
Places, features many finely executed
Federal details, and was erected by
John Dennis, a former United States
St. Andrew's Episcopal Church, 1767-73;
1859, 1896. Located at 11700 Church
Street, this structure was originally
a chapel-of-ease for Somerset Parish.